Watching your plants grow from seedling to blooming is more than gardening! When you finally walk into your small 4’ x 4’ garden and pick a few leaves of cannabis, you will get a sense of fulfillment. In case you have been growing vegetables, having them as part of your ingredients will change your whole perception about including veggies in your portions. In order to get maximum yields from your indoor garden, you will need to invest in one of the best LED grow lights in the market today!
Table of Contents
- 1 Best LED Grow Lights 2018
- 2 How to Choose the Right LED Grow Light
- 3 Best LED Grow Lights Reviews
- 3.1 1. Advanced Platinum P600 Grow Light – Best Overall LED Grow Light
- 3.2 2. G8LED 900-Watt MEGA Grow Light – Best LED Grow Light for the Money
- 3.3 3. GalaxyHydro LED Grow Light 300W – Best Beginner Cannabis Grower LED Grow Light
- 3.4 4. Advanced LED Lights Diamond Series XML 350 – Best Grow Light to Replace Your 600W HPS Systems
- 3.5 5. ViparSpectra Reflector-Series 600W – Best Grow Light for Hobbyist Indoor Gardener
- 3.6 6. G8LED-450 LED Grow Light – Best Grow Light for The Mid-Tier Cannabis Growers
- 3.7 7. Roleadro Full Spectrum 300W LED Plant Grow Light – Best Affordable Indoor LED Grow Light
- 3.8 8. King Plus Double Chip LED Grow Lights – Best LED Grow Light for the Business-Minded Cannabis Grower
- 3.9 9. HIGROW Optical Lens-Series 1000W Grow Light – Best LED Grow Light With 1000W High-Intensity Power Output
- 3.10 10. Mars Hydro Reflector Series LED Grow Lights – Best Affordable Grow light for Enthusiast Cannabis Grower
- 4 What are Full Spectrum LED Grow Lights?
- 5 Benefits of using Full Spectrum LED Grow Lights
- 6 Other Factors to Consider When Buying Grow Lights
- 7 Five Essential Grow Room Kit Items
- 8 Bottom Line
Best LED Grow Lights 2018
|Grow Light Model||Picture||Bottom Line||Wattage||Key Feature||Coverage Area|
|Advanced Platinum P600 Grow Light||Stands out as a 12-band full light spectrum grow light. Ideal for all growth cycles.||600||Two switches: “Veg” and “Bloom” modes for a controlled growing.||6 x 4||Check Price|
|G8LED 900-Watt MEGA Grow Light||A powerful grow light for the pro indoor growers. Thanks to the 300 pieces of 3W LEDs||900||Zener diodes protection.||6 x 4||Check Price|
|GalaxyHydro LED Grow Light 300W||An affordable, high-quality grow light for the beginner indoor cannabis grower.||300||Dimmable feature that allows for light intensity adjustment.||2 x 2||Check Price|
|Advanced LED Lights Diamond Series XML 350||Get high luminosity with the least amount of electricity. A perfect replacement for the 600W HPS system.||350||Advanced 10W CREE single-chip LEDs.||4 x 4||Check Price|
|ViparSpectra Reflector-Series 600W||A well-built full light spectrum grow light for the hobbyist growers who are intending to use their living spaces.||600||High-quality heat sinks and whisper-quiet fans – very efficient in heat dissipation.||3.7 x 3.7||Check Price|
|G8LED-450 LED Grow Light||Features an 8-bands full light spectrum and high-quality design that best suits the dedicated cannabis growers.||450||An adjustable switch mode for veg and bloom growing cycles.||4 x 3||Check Price|
|Roleadro Full Spectrum 300W LED Plant Grow Light||An affordable indoor grow light that features a full light spectrum and an ergonomic design||300||Ability to daisy-chain for a minimalistic growing area.||3.4 x 3.4||Check Price|
|King Plus Double Chip LED Grow Lights||A high-quality, well-built grow light with an option to choose between its four variants.||600 - 1200||Double-chip 5W LEDs that provides a total of 10W per LED.||4 x 4||Check Price|
|HIGROW Optical Lens-Series 1000W Grow Light||Very ideal for all types of growers, owing to its high-luminosity and superb 12-band light spectrum.||1000||Efficient lens design that limits light loss.||4 x 4||Check Price|
|Mars Hydro Reflector Series LED Grow Lights||Gives you the option of choose between its four variants of 10-band full light spectrum with switchable modes for a controlled growing.||240 - 960||A mirror-like reflector in each LED that collects and fuses 99% of the light.||3.5 x 3.5||Check Price|
As an indoor cannabis grower and herbs gardener, I have been depending on grow lights for more than a decade. Since my small indoor garden received only 3 hours of sunlight, I was forced to invest in grow lamps. Then, affordable LED grow lights had not hit the market like today. I would improvise some fluorescent bulbs and HPS lamps. Such lighting systems gave my plants a decent improvement in terms of growth!
Today, I no longer need HPS lighting systems! LED Grow Light manufacturers have been embarking on consistent research in an effort to design versatile grow lights. Such lightings feature blue light bands, red lights bands, white lights, infrared lights, ultraviolet lights, and yellow lights among other bands. Since these bands are distributed in different wavelengths, you are assured that each leaf of the plants will get sufficient light for photosynthesis.
Blue lights are essential during the vegetative stage of plants growth. If you are an indoor cannabis grower, you will want to invest in a lighting system that features more blue lights. A lot of blue light bands, means improved chlorophyll production and healthy leaves, hence bumper yields. On the other hand, red light bands are essential during the flowering stage of the growth cycle. As a grower you want more flowers and buds, thus more red-light bands in your grow light.
Most people forego the grow lights with Yellow or White lights, for cheaper lights since they term the white bands of the light spectrum as useless. However, in physics, white light is a combination of all the light bands. Thus, with white lights, you will benefit from heightened photosynthesis. The ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) lights are essential in killing harmful bacteria and promoting overall plant growth.
How to Choose the Right LED Grow Light
In the context of buying the best LED Grow light, the word “right” is relative. What suits me as an indoor cannabis grower, won’t suit you as an indoor vegetable gardener. Hence, you will want to invest in a grow light that meets your desired applications. Since choosing the right grow light can be somewhat tricky, I have provided the five factors that you need to consider when buying LED grow lights. They include:
1. Coverage Area
We all grow our indoor plants in gardens of different sizes. The standard grow tents are 3’ x 3’ or 4’ x 4’ in size. However, most people DIY their growing areas, hence it is a bit hard to rely on the market standard.
When purchasing LED grow lights, you should start by determining the area of coverage. You want to ensure that the grow light provide optimum luminosity on your plants’ canopy. With the right measurements, you will manage to decide whether to settle on a single unit or several units of the grow light of your choice.
2. Output Wattage
Output wattage is simply the amount of energy produced by the LED grow light when functioning at maximum capacity. It determines how powerful the grow light will be when used to provide luminosity on your plants.
For example, an LED grow light with an output wattage of 800W is powerful than an alternative to 400W, keeping other factors like coverage area constant. Output wattage will help you determine how many grow lights are needed for optimum plant growth.
3. Input Wattage
Also referred to as Power Draw, input wattage is the amount of power consumed to run the grow light. It is measured in wattage. Power draw is essential when calculating the total energy costs that you will need to run the system.
For example, an LED grow light with an input wattage of 125W will consume approximately 1 unit (1000 Watts or 1 kWh) of electricity when running for 8 hours. With input wattage, you will decide whether it is viable to replace your non-LED grow lights like High-Pressure Sodium (HPS), High-Intensity Discharge (HID), or Metal Halide (MH) systems in order to save energy.
4. Light Spectrum
A full spectrum LED grow light has been designed in such a way that it can replace the natural sunlight’s intensity and light spectrum. With a full spectrum grow light, you can successfully grow your indoor plants throughout the growth cycle.
When purchasing the grow light, always go for the full spectrum alternatives. Nonetheless, if they have UV and IR light bands, then they are worth the buck. You want to mimic the natural sunlight for optimum plant growth.
All LED grow light manufacturers measure their grow light lifespans in hours. The rated lifespan indicates the average number of hours that the LED light should last before degrading intensity or before the diodes start blowing up.
Naturally, you will want to consider the grow light with the longest lifespan. However, also consider the quality of the LED diodes that have been used in the panel as well as the customer feedback. A lifespan of 50,000 hours or above is recommended for LED grow lights.
Best LED Grow Lights Reviews
Since you now have a clear idea of the specs to consider when purchasing LED grow lights, the next step is to look at some of the well-designed lights on the market today. Apart from the manufacturers’ information and customer feedback, I have invested in my own research and testing on these grow lights, before giving my final recommendations.
The Advanced Platinum P600 Band Grow Light features 200 pieces of 3 watts top-quality US made LED diodes. With its 12-band full light spectrum and a coverage area of 6’ by 4’, it is the best LED grow light in the market today. This grow light also features two-switches for the vegetative and blooming modes.
The Advanced Platinum P600 Band Grow Light is suitable throughout the growth cycle. Hence, it will serve your plants’ needs from seedling and clones, throughout the vegetative stages to the flowering stages. Whereas the manufacturer has rated that it is perfect for 6 feet by 4 feet growing garden, I can confidently say that it is the perfect grow light for 4 feet by 4 feet growing area.
- A high-power output of about 600 watts, which is twice the intensity of the average indoor grow light.
- The system runs fairly cool, owing to the whisper-quiet fans, aluminum heat sink, and ventilation holes.
- Veg and Bloom switches for controlled growth during the vegetative and flowering stages.
- Full light spectrum with reliable and superior 12-band wavelengths that also includes IR and UV lights. It is the most complete spectral on the market today!
- Can be used anywhere around the world, thanks to the AC85 – 260 input voltage as well as the auto-voltage sensing and adjusting power drivers.
- 90-degree focus lenses for a concentrated light on the plants’ canopy.
- A whopping 5-year warranty, not to mention the 90-day money back guarantee.
How to Get the Most Out of This Grow Light
If you are a cannabis grower, it means that you want to get the most out of your grow light. The same case applies for other types of indoor growers as well as hobbyist gardeners. For the best results during the clones and seedling stages, place the light at 24-inches height. Since they are very bright, you may need to alternate between 24’’ and 36’’ before your cannabis plants get used to them.
In case you are growing on a bigger tent, say 8’ by 4’, one light is sufficient during the clone and seedling stages when placed at a height of 24-inches. However, you will need at least two lights during the vegetative and flowering stages for optimum luminosity at 18-inches height from the plants’ canopy. Depending on the area of your garden, it will be easy to determine how many lights are sufficient for maximum yields.
The Advanced Platinum P600 comes with two switches. During the clones and vegetative stages, you will only need to put on the “Veg” switch. It will draw an average power of 184 watts/hour. when only the “Veg” switch is turned on. However, in the flowering stage, you will need to turn on the “Bloom” switch along with the “Veg” switch. The total power draw will be about 368 watts/hour. If you are placing an 800W HPS system, your electricity bill will go down with a very high percentage.
The G8LED 900-Watt MEGA grow light features 300 pieces of high-quality USA made 3-watts LED chips. G8LED has invested in serious research and testing for over ten years. With this kind of research, they have managed to design the highest-quality grow lights in the market today! With the “Veg” and “Flower” rating, you are assured of an optimum plant growth as well as bumper harvests.
G8LED 900-Watt MEGA grow light gives you the same power as a 1400 watts High-Pressure Sodium (HPS) lighting system. Remember, such a system would draw a lot of power, hence with the G8LED 900-Watt MEGA, your power bill will reduce tremendously. Just a few months ago, the High Times Magazine termed this grow light as a professional-grade lighting in their “Gear of the Year” section.
The G8LED 900-Watt MEGA grow light is suitable for the intermediate and advanced indoor growers. If you are growing cannabis as a business, and you would want to replace your HPS and HID systems with low-electricity consuming LED grow lights, then it is best LED grow light for the money.
Nevertheless, its over 50,000 hours lifespan, makes it a worthy investment for beginners who would like to start out with high-quality, reliable systems! The grow light can also be used on vegetables, herbs, and flowers like tomatoes, pepper vines, and large indoor décor plants.
- 300 pieces of high-quality USA-made 3-watts LED diodes.
- Well-built whisper-quiet fans, heat sinks, and ventilation that keeps the panel running cool even after 24 hours of continuous use.
- Intense coverage for 6 feet by 4 feet (24 square-feet) growing area at 16-inches height from the plants’ canopy.
- Provides a photosynthetic active radiation (PAR) value of 1540umoles.
- Zener diodes that protect the panel from failure and surges in case one of the LEDs blows-up.
- Ability to operate worldwide, with its power input of between AC 110 to 240 Volts.
- 2-year product warranty.
How to Get the Most Out of This Grow Light
G8LED is a very reputable company. It had been relying on LEDs from reliable manufacturers like Optotech, Epistar, and BridgeLux. The G8LED 900-Watt MEGA LED Veg/Flower Grow Light comes in both blue and red lights that are highly essential during the vegetative and blooming stages of plants growth. Combined with the infrared and ultraviolet lights that make up the 8-color spectrum, the G8LED 900-Watt MEGA can run for 18 hours for optimum cannabis plants’ growth.
The manufacturer recommends a hanging height of between 26 to 42 inches from the plants’ canopy. In case you are looking for taller plants, like the first few weeks of seedling/clones in cannabis growth-cycle, you should stick to 42-inches. This distance helps your plants to stretch up, hence growing longer stems. During the vegetative stage, you should drop the height to about 30 inches, so as to enhance a bushier growth with green, healthy leaves. In the flowering stages, drop the panel to about 26-inches.
The fact that this grow light draws 540 watts of electricity per hour, means that you will be using about 1 kWh (a single unit) of power for every two hours. Quite amazing, owing to its 900 watts power output! During the vegetative cycle, consider keeping the panel running for an average of 18 hours in a day for 5 weeks. This scheduling will mimic summer, hence encouraging plants growth. Reduce the time to 12 hours per day during the blooming cycle that will last for about 8 weeks.
GalaxyHydro has been a reputable brand in the world of LED grow lights for quite a while. The company boasts of an excellent, stellar customer service and high-quality, reliable products. Most of their indoor plant lights come with full spectrum range that is useful for the vegetative and flowering stages of growth. The GalaxyHydro LED Grow Light 300W is a no exception to this trend.
This grow light features a lightweight, ergonomic design. The fact that it comes with a daisy chain feature means that you can easily connect a series of these panels when expanding your growing area. Since I have personally used the GalaxyHydro LED Grow Light 300W throughout the cannabis growth cycles, I found it easy when controlling the growth from clones to blooming.
I would recommend this grow light for amateurs who are just starting out indoor marijuana gardening. The fact that they are affordable means that you can invest in a few units even when you are running on a budget. Furthermore, pro growers can invest in several units of this grow light when replacing their traditional lighting systems on a budget in an effort to reduce electricity costs and keep the growing area cool.
- High-quality 100 pieces LEDs that makes it brighter than any other LEDs in the market.
- Each LED grow light features a 3 watts epiled chip, with high brightness and high lumen.
- Two cooling fans that offer a better heat dissipation. Hence, no any ultra-heat generation even when the light is up for over 18 hours.
- The infrared lights in the LEDs help in promoting cell division, vegetable growth, and flowering in plants.
- The LEDs include ultraviolet lights that help in killing bacteria that might negatively influence plant growth and sterilization.
- Zenor protection allows the other LEDs to continue working even in an event where one LED is broken. Each LED has its own diode, such that when one blows up, the others will still work.
- The epileds have been set in different angles with some lights at 120 degrees and others adjusted to 90 degrees to offer consistent coverage and minimize hot spots risks.
How to Get the Most Out of This Grow Light
The heat dissipation is highly efficient too (courtesy multiple built-in small fans). The product is extremely durable with a lifespan of 50,000 hours. In the case of unexpected malfunction, GalaxyHydro also offers a 2-year warranty period in addition to the 30-day money back guarantee. You can keep the light running for hours without the risk of burning your plants. You can read the full review of GalaxyHydro LED Grow Light 300W.
During plant germination, you should hang it at about 48 – 56 inches over the plant canopy. Keep a 40 – 48 inches height during the vegetative stage and a 32 – 40 inches length during the flowering stage. For areas larger than the 4 square feet, you should try to alter the length of the grow light from the plants. Only that you should keep a minimum of 18 inches height from the plants’ canopy – the recommended distance!
The DS XML 350 from Advanced LED Light is as much a popular choice in the indoor cannabis growing scene as it is among indoor garden enthusiasts. This moderately priced LED grow light comes with three-year replaceable warranty and 90-day money back guarantee.
The XML 350 carries both 3W and 10W CREE single-chip LEDs, providing the highest luminosity for the least amount of electricity. (Worth noting, this Diamond series lamp guarantees as much luminosity as a 600W HPS lamp. Judging by its specs and overall performance, the Advanced LED Light DS XML 350 is definitely one of the most spectral and energy efficient affordable LED grow lights out there. Here’s the Advanced LED Diamond Series XML 350 review.
I would say that this grow light suits indoor growers who would like to expand their production while at the same time replacing the traditional lighting systems. Nevertheless, if you are just starting out and looking to purchasing high quality grow lights that will keep running for years, then the Advanced LED Lights Diamond Series XML 350 is worth your buck.
- Most advanced 10W CREE single-chip LEDs.
- 11+ high PAR wavelengths.
- Computer-generated LED collimator lenses that minimize waste of light.
- Ability to switch the spectrum output for cloning, flowering, and vegetative stages.
- A multi-fan cooling system with side vent and 2x larger heat sinks.
How to Get the Most Out of This Grow Light
Weighing approximately 14 lbs, the XML 350 operates on an input voltage of 110 to 240 VAC and draws 330W of power per hour. You can also adjust the intensity and spectrum to accurately match the growth stage. The spectrum adjusting buttons are particularly useful as no extra lighting is required to switch in between flowering and vegetable modes.
Use the switch located at the top of the panel to adjust the light depending on your plants’ growth stage. You get the option of switching between clone, vegetative, and flowering stages. You will get a nice blooming mode during the flowering stages.
To avoid burning your plants, always keep a 24 inches height between the plants canopy and this grow light. You may be tempted to drop its height to speed up things, only to end up making them worse. Nonetheless, in case of a problem with your XML 350 Grow Light, just contact Advanced LED customer service. They are not only prompt but will also offer you with superb service.
Viparspectra is one such brand that has been consistent in designing and manufacturing high-quality grow lights. Their reflector-series 600W stands among the top grow lights in the market today. Its high-speed fans and high-quality cooling heat sinks mean that you can keep it running in the house without experiencing temperature changes.
The LEDs are angled at 90-degree and their positions are such that the light spreads evenly across the surface. Like the DS XML 350, the Viparspectra RS 600W also supports one-push switching between veg and bloom modes. It feeds on an input voltage of AC100-240 volt whereas the average power consumption stands at 276W.
I have been personally using ViparSpectra 600W for a while now and can confidently say that it is as good for veggies and flowers as it is for cannabis plants. At 15 x 12.6 x 3 inches, the lamp flaunts a sleek design and carries a power cord measuring at respectable 5.5-feet. I would recommend this grow light to the hobbyist indoor gardener, who shifts from cannabis to flowers, to veggies in different seasons. Read the Viparspectra RS 600W full review here.
- A well-built cooling sink with high-speed fans.
- 70% percent more efficient in heat dissipation compared to HPS/HID grow lights.
- The adjustable switch offers for an easy usage mechanism during the plants vegetative and blossom stages.
- Designed in a reflector style with 90 degrees lenses to offer an even coverage area.
- Optimal full light spectrum. Meaning that you won’t need any other external lights to support the growth of your cannabis garden in all the growth cycles.
How to Get the Most Out of This Grow Light
Well, most of us don’t care much about the design as much we care about the coverage area. Even on this front, the RS 600W offers a pretty satisfactory result with a maximum coverage of 4.7 x 4.7 feet and core coverage of 3.7 x 3.7 feet. During the clone stages, you should place the light at a 22 to 24 inches height from the plants’ canopy. You should then let the seedlings grow, such that the distance between the light and the plants’ canopy is about 18 to 20 inches while using the vegetative switch.
When your plants are in the flowering cycle, alternate between the bloom and vegetative switch on a daily basis. You should let the plants reach a distance of 14 to 16 inches. Remember, this is the distance between the plants’ canopy and the unit. Alternating between the flowering and vegetative switch, especially for cannabis growers, ensure that your plants develop better leaves in the blooming stages.
Dorm Grow, the company behind the G8-450 LED grow light, is known for their quality and customer service. And it’s not just me, you can find a lot of knowledgeable folks out there who appreciate the high-quality construction used in Dorm Grow lights, including of course the G8-450. We have actually reviewed another grow light (G8LED 900 watts) by the same manufacturer.
The product lets you choose between 8 bands of the color spectrum to ensure the right kind of light for the right stages of growth. Operating at an input voltage of 110V-240V, the light ensures penetration up to 5-feet past the plant canopy. Hanging wires are included in the shipping and the power cord is available for orders from the US, UK, EU, and Australia.
Since we have reviewed the G8LED 900W grow light from the same manufacturer and stated that it would be ideal for pro-growers, I would recommend the G8-450 LED Grow Light to the mid-tier growers. Weighing around 18 pounds, the G8-450 comes with a heavy-duty body with a lifespan of 50,000 hours. The light effectively covers an area spanning 12 square foot although you get a little less than that in reality.
- Durable, high-quality 3 watts LED chips.
- Optimal 8 bands light spectrum with superior ultraviolet and infrared light spectra.
- Ability to adjust the light between flowering and vegetative cycles of your plants.
- An excellent power output of about 450 watts.
- Custom hanging wires and power cords when ordering. Meaning that you can use it in any country without the need of investing in a universal adapter or converters.
- High luminosity, such that is can perfectly replace an 800W HPS grow light.
How to Get the Most of This Grow Light
If you compare the G8-450 with an HID system, you will see it offers luminosity equivalent to any 800W HID. On paper, the light effectively covers an area spanning 12 square foot although you get a little less than that in reality. To preclude the necessity of buying many units of this light, for a larger garden, you can get such two lights and place them four feet apart in the same axis at the middle of the garden. This helps in achieving an optimum cross-lighting and maximum yields with a lower investment.
To achieve the maximum flowering yields with the G8LED 450 Watt Led Grow Light, I would advise that you get a backup 90 watts red LED UFO. With it, you will get maximum light penetration in your plants during the blossoming stages, and thus maximum yields. With this trick, your plants will still receive the intense coverage with a photosynthetic active radiation of about 960umoles. You can read the full review of G8LED 450 Watt LED Grow Light here.
This Roleadro Full Spectrum 300W LED Plant Grow Light for indoor plants features sixty 5-watt LED chips. Widely counted among the best LED grow lights for weed, the product comes with full-spectrum lighting. The manufacturer promises a lifespan of 50,000 to 100,000 hours, which is a very long lifespan given that most manufacturers promise up to 50,000 hours.
The product comes equipped with two fans for cooling and brings you a steel hanging kit. One drawback I can see is the absence of the ability to daisy chain it. If you are specifically looking for something to daisy chain, Roleadro has a 600W model of this product with that feature. However, the Roleadro has incorporated more blue light in this grow light to offer your plants with maximum chlorophyll production.
Roleadro Full Spectrum 300W LED Plant Grow Light produces 5000 lumens and can cover as much as 3.9 square meters per light as per the manufacturer’s claims. I think that figure is slightly inflated, but that’s a common issue with all these brands. Considering that it’s a light measured at 11 x 14-inch, I recommend that you use it to cover an area of 3 x 3 meters. Also, check out the Roleadro 300W LED Plant Grow Light review.
- The unit comes with 60 pieces of 5 watts LED lights.
- 300 watts power output.
- Each LED light features a full light spectrum that is as efficient as the natural sunlight.
- One light will perfectly cover a 43 square foot (6,200 square inches) growing garden.
- With its AC85-265 input voltage, the unit can work perfectly in any part of the world.
- The actual power consumption is about 124 watts for 110 Volts or 122 watts for 220 volts wiring.
- Very minimal noise production of about 55dB – can be used even in the living room space.
How to Get the Most of This Grow Light
For better performance, I would advise that you use it on a 3′ x 3′ growing garden. Whereas the manufacturer has indicated that it can work on a larger garden, the light will perform better on a smaller garden. You want to ensure that the light concentration is sufficient to promote a better plant growth.
I will also recommend that you keep the light at about 15 inches distance from the plants’ canopy during the vegetative and flowering stages for a better PAR. Since the light isn’t too hot, your plants won’t be at any risk of getting burned. In any case, you can adjust the height at different times of the day.
8. King Plus Double Chip LED Grow Lights – Best LED Grow Light for the Business-Minded Cannabis Grower
King Plus LED grow lights are claimed to come equipped with a new innovative class of LED technology that ensures a balanced and brighter output for all your plants without consuming excess electricity. Their double LED chips carry two 5W LEDs chips, providing a net output of 10W per LED. Needless to say, this is way brighter and more efficient compared to the individual 3W, 5W, or 6W LEDs found in most LED plant lights. You can read the detailed review of the light here.
These grow lights offer you with a full spectrum comprising of blue, red, yellow, white, UV, and IR lights. This is possibly the closest you can get to natural sunlight in this price range. The heat dissipation is taken care of by the built-in fans, as well as the holes across the LED board and the cover glass.
Since the manufacturer understands that different growers want different sizes of grow lights, King Plus offers the Double Chip LED Grow Lights is four different variants with a power output of 600W, 800W, 1000W, and 1200W. It is one of the best LED grow lights for the committed indoor cannabis growers.
- Comes in four different variants with 600W, 800W, 1000W, and 1200W.
- An average coverage that ranges between 3′ x 3′ and 4′ x 4′.
- Quicker heat dissipation with its one big fan and other standard fans.
- Two 5 watts LED diodes (10 watts per LED) that are brighter than most of the competitors.
- Full light spectrum with additional infrared and ultraviolet lights that helps in killing harmful microbes.
- A thicker case that features a ventilated glass cover.
How to Get the Most Out of King Plus Double Chip LED Grow Lights
Whereas the manufacturer recommends a height of 1.2 to 2 meters when using this grow light on your plants, I think you will need a few tweaks for optimum yields. During the clones and seedling stages, you can keep this distance since they don’t need much light. However, you should lower the unit a little bit further during the vegetative stage to about one meter (30 to 36 inches). In the blooming stage, your plants need much light and hence you will need to lower it further to about 20 inches. Don’t worry about the bright and warm light, your plants won’t burn.
9. HIGROW Optical Lens-Series 1000W Grow Light – Best LED Grow Light With 1000W High-Intensity Power Output
How about an epic 1000-watt indoor plant lamp with a pretty formidable coverage and build quality? Sounds good? Well, the HIGROW Optical Lens-Series 1000W grow light is just that kind of a product that any serious plantsman with an indoor/grow tent setup cannot just overlook. I have been using this grow light for quite some time and the results are beyond my expectations. Here’s the full review of this grow light.
The HIGROW Optical Lens-Series 1000W is ideal for both beginners and established indoor growers. If you are looking for the best grow light for your 4 x 4-foot garden, then this light will perfectly suit your needs.
- 200 5-watt LEDs.
- LED Lens: 90°.
- Input Voltage: AC100-240V.
- Core Coverage at 24″ Height 4x3ft.
- Max Coverage at 24″ Height 5x4ft.
How to Get the Most Out of This Grow Light
During the blooming stage, you can compromise the 24-inches distance without any effect. An 18 to 22 inches distance from the plants’ canopy will offer you with the best results in the flowering stages. However, you should always keep a watch on your plants when the lights are this close.
Always wear protective gear when looking directly into the light. Avoid the temptation of looking into the panel with your naked eyes. In case you are unable to find the right eye protection, but you still want to see how the lights are performing, you may opt for your regular sunglasses.
10. Mars Hydro Reflector Series LED Grow Lights – Best Affordable Grow light for Enthusiast Cannabis Grower
Mars Hydro is a relatively well-known manufacturer of indoor plant lights with over 7 years of experience in the market. The Mars Hydro Reflector LED grow light series is a lot different from any other product on this list. All the lights in this series are named based on the total number of LEDs in them and their true wattage (and not based on their HID equivalent).
The reflector series flaunts a unique design of compact reflectors around each individual LED. This setup ensures a much higher PAR output compared to regular LED lights (without using nearly as many bulbs). That, in turn, ensures a far lower consumption of electricity, leading to more energy savings. Each light comes with its own full spectrum including red, blue and white wavelengths. This helps your plants in both their vegetative and flowering stages of growth.
Mars Hydro Reflector Series LED Grow Lights have been built with 5 watts Epistar LED diodes that are very powerful and brighter. The first option features 48 pieces of LEDs that emit a total of 240 watts. The second, third, and fourth options feature 96, 144, and 192 pieces of LEDs that emit a total of 480, 720, and 960 watts respectively. They are suitable for growing areas of 1.5 by 1.5-foot to 3.5 by 3.5-foot.
- 10-band full light spectrum in the 430~440nm, 450~475nm 620~630nm, 650~660nm, and white ranges.
- Each individual LED diode is surrounded by a mirror-like reflector that collects and fuses 99% of the light.
- Switchable modes, where you can toggle between half of the LEDs on or all of the LEDs on depending on the growing stage.
How to Get the Most Out of This Grow Light
Mars Hydro has included a very long hanging line in the Reflector Series LED Grow lights. Hence, you may consider trying a different knot on the line before hanging. The move will give you an extra security measure. You can search online on how to make fishermen knots of better quality. A further security measure might be melting the cut ends of the lines with a heat source (lighter) to prevent them from fraying.
What are Full Spectrum LED Grow Lights?
First of all, full spectrum is not actually a purely scientific term. It’s more of a generalized way of describing the properties of a light source – in our case, LED plant lights.
In essence, the term full spectrum LED grow lights refer to products that radiate light in all bands of the visible electromagnetic spectrum (read: light spectrum). That stands for light within the wavelength range of 390nm to 700nm. Beyond that, the average human eye cannot detect light (e.g. infrared or X-ray).
So, when you hear the phrase full spectrum LED grow bulb, it essentially means that a bulb that emulates the balanced full-spectrum of natural light (e.g. sunlight).
- Yellow – 580nm
- Orange – 610nm
- Red – 630nm
- Deep red – 660nm
- Blue – 460nm
- Royal blue – 430nm
- UV – 410nm
- Infrared (IR) – 730nm
- White – 14,000K
Those experienced with indoor plants for a long time would know that full spectrum LED grow lights in most cases lead to healthier crops and better yields. Without delving into the nitty-gritty, it suffices to state that while red and blue are predominantly the “active photosynthesis” part of the spectrum, they are simply not enough for the overall well-being of most plants.
You see, traditional LED arrays only emit the spectrums that activate after the photorespiration period. This is why the traditional grow lights including the two-banded LED grow lights (with red and blue wavelengths) more often than not finish cycles with immature plants and low yields. This is because by providing plants with only limited spectrums, you are basically making them stuck in a perpetual “chill” mode. In some cases, you may notice healthy looking plants, but their yields are almost never up to the mark.
This is why the full spectrum indoor plant lights built using the latest LED technologies are most useful for growing a wide variety of plants including flowers, veggies, and cannabis.
Benefits of using Full Spectrum LED Grow Lights
The benefits are manifold, the technical details of which are beyond the scope of this article. However, simply put, the primary benefits of using full spectrum LED grow lights can be surmised in the following:
- High yields compared to plants grown using traditional indoor plant lights.
- They don’t dissipate much heat. Therefore, no external cooling arrangements are necessary.
- They never flicker and don’t require ballast.
- Their lifespan is about 50,000 hours, which basically translates into years of trouble-free service.
- Their electricity consumption is comparatively much less, helping you save on electricity.
Other Factors to Consider When Buying Grow Lights
Not just first-time buyers, even experienced users often face great difficulties while choosing the best LED grow lights for their plants. Apart from the factors that we considered previously in this guide, you should put the following factors into consideration:
1. Ease Installation.
Remember, senseless complications do not stand for superior technology or sophistication! Avoid products that are unnecessarily complicated and pick those that can be easily installed.
Make sure that the indoor plant lights you choose for your indoor cannabis and other vegetables/flowers can be easily adjusted to your preferred heights, color, and intensity.
2. Availability of Space.
Availability of space is another critical factor you must consider while purchasing new indoor plant lights. That’s because the amount of space you use for plantation is directly correlated to the number of lights you need. You can strike the perfect balance between the two by implementing the following:
- First accurately measure the size of your garden.
- Next, find out the lighting area size of the lamp you are buying to determine the exact number you will require to properly light the entire garden.
The general guideline I personally use is that low-light plants such as lettuce require between 11 to 18 watts per square foot while high-light plants such as tomatoes require around 32 watts per square foot. For medicinal cannabis, the minimum wattage per square foot is around 28 to 30 watts while the optimal range is between 50 and 80-watt.
3. Brand: Look for Established Record of Success.
- While I am not saying that newer brands are not as good as the older ones, it makes perfect sense for most first-time buyers to buy products that already have an established track record.
- For durability, try and pick one of the reputed brands with good user reviews rather than those unreliable cheap lights with fake claims.
Now that you are familiar with the key parameters to refer to while buy lights for your indoor plants, let’s proceed to the LED grow light reviews section featuring 10 of the bestselling products in the market today.
Five Essential Grow Room Kit Items
In addition to the best LED grow lights, there are a number of items as well that you need to have in your grow room kit for safety and maximum efficiency. These include:
1. Sunglasses: It may sound a little odd to some of you with no prior experience in a grow room, but sunglasses are important if you want to keep your eyes safe from the bright full-spectrum LED lights with UV rays. It hardly needs any explanation, though! I mean it’s basically the same as wearing your sunglasses outside to protect your eyes on a bright sunny day.
2. Grow tent: Even if you are currently used to grow your plants in an enclosed space such as a closet, you should try and upgrade to a grow tent whenever possible. With grow tents, it’s a lot easier to control the climate for your plants. In addition to keeping smells and humidity under control, grow tents also protect your cannabis and other plants from stray light when they need to be in the dark. Also, they protect you from the bright grow light when you are supposed to be sleeping.
3. Nutrients: Plants need their fair share of minerals and other nutrients for staying alive and healthy. Note that the nutrients you provide them with also impact their flavor in addition to influencing the yield. Don’t let your plants starve and produce poor yields with not-so-good flavor. Always use the right nutrients in the right amounts.
4. Thermometer and hygrometer: Both these are must-haves in your grow room kit simply because they will give you adequate information about the ambient conditions in your grow tent and any changes necessary.
5. Light meter: It may not be as important as a hygrometer or a grow tent, but having a light meter in your toolkit will help you optimize your plants for the best yields by providing them with just the right amount of light.
I hope the LED grow light reviews above will help you decide on the indoor plant lights best suited for your medical marijuana, vegetable, and other plants. Keep in mind that this is just a brief rundown of the most important aspects associated with getting started with your own indoor garden. I will be sharing more of my experiences with indoor plantation and the best toolkits your money can buy.
So, stay tuned and feel free to bookmark this page for easier access to best LED Grow Lights 2018.